A man in his 20s has been mauled by a shark in Australia.

Emergences services, including a rescue helicopter, have been scrambled to Clack Island, in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park after the man was bitten by the animal.

The man sustained injuries to his shoulder and bicep area and is in a stable condition in hospital, it is understood. Emergency services also added on X, formerly known as Twitter, the man suffered "deep puncture wounds". The emergency helicopter was deployed from Cairns, further tweets confirmed.

A 32-year-old woman sustained "significant" facial injuries after she was bitten by a shark in another attack in Australia last week. Paramedics raced to the scene at The Esplanade in Port Noarlunga at around 1.20pm local time on Friday.

The 32-year-old woman, who was discovered conscious and breathing, was found to have suffered severe facial injuries and was taken to hospital. A spokesperson for the local ambulance service had described the injuries as “life-threatening”.

Photographs from the scene show swimmers and emergency services holding up tarpaulins around the woman to protect her privacy as she was taken to an ambulance. Multiple emergency services were at the scene, including police officers. A police spokesperson said: “Police with the assistance of other emergency services evacuated the water while a search to locate the shark was undertaken. Members of the public have since returned to the water after the search failed to locate the shark.” No details about the shark have been released.

Earlier this month, witnesses described the moment they saw a great white shark "launch and bite" at a surfer before dragging him to his death in a "gruesome" attack along the same stretch of coast. Ian Brophy, 70, was about to step into the sea at Granite Beach, Streaky Bay, South Australia when he heard someone shout "shark" at around 10.20am on Tuesday. He spotted the surfer, 55, "getting torn apart" in front of shocked beachgoers. Minutes later there was "blood everywhere" and nothing left but the surfer's board following the attack, he said.