A teenager accused of murdering 16-year-old transgender student Brianna Ghey had plotted to drug her McDonald's milkshake, a court has heard.

On the third day of the trial the jury heard more messages exchanged between the girl, identified only as X, and co-defendant Y, a boy, both aged 16, accused of Brianna’s murder. The two are accused of planning and carrying out the murder of their 16-year-old victim, found stabbed 28 times in Linear Park Culcheth, near Warrington, on February 11 this year.

The jury heard about messages between the defendants exchanged on January 23 this year, three weeks before Brianna’s death, when X’s “fascination” with Brianna “turned darker”. X told Y she knew a lot about US serial killer Richard Ramirez, known as The Night Stalker, adding, “I could talk about him for like two hours, including quotes and dates of stuff”.

Brianna was murdered at Culcheth Linear Park, near Warrington, Cheshire (
Cheshire Police)

During the conversation, she added: “I always fake apologies and play the victim.” They then exchange messages about X trying to kill Brianna with an overdose. X said that “ppl already know she is depressed and shit so nobody would get sus … I gave her some today that should have been enough to kill her … but she didn’t die”.

The two then discussed giving Brianna ibuprofen gel in a McDonald’s milkshake and Y said the pills X gave Brianna “might be slowly killing her”. Only X is in court today. Y is instead listening in remotely via video link from his secure accommodation unit. Trial judge Mrs Justice Yip told the jury they may notice that Y is playing with a fidget or tangle toy, or have a crossword book with him, which experts have told her helps him concentrate and X has similar devices.

She added: “Whatever helps to manage conditions I’m perfectly happy with. Whatever helps us get through the evidence, that’s helpful.” Jurors have also heard a statement from Brianna's mum Esther Ghey. Read out by prosecutor Cheryl Mottram, Ms Ghey recalled how on the day she was killed, her daughter texted her saying: "I'm on the bus by myself, I'm scared." Brianna has been described during proceedings as an anxious child.

A police officer stands next to floral tributes at the entrance to Linear Park (
Getty Images)

Ms Ghey said: "I replied 'well that's well good xx', as I was really proud of her. I don't think she ever saw it because it showed as being delivered, but it didn't turn blue." Esther also referred to how the family had hired a log cabin the previous month.

Ms Ghey said she would often get home from work after Brianna so wasn't sure how often they [Girl X and Brianna] met up. She said she was asked to recall an incident where Brianna was 'really sick'. She said Brianna was 'screaming and crying for me to help her'. Ms Ghey said: "She has never been like that before or like that since."

Speaking of the incident, Ms Ghey said: "I think it was some time the week beginning January 23. It was some time between January 23 and 27. "I remember coming home from work and Brianna and her sister were at home. Brianna would have been at school that day. I got home from work at about 6pm." She said she shouted up to Brianna in her bedroom and said 'hi', before hearing her start 'screaming'.

Police at the scene in Culcheth Linear Park (

Ms Ghey said: "My initial thought was that she had self harmed and hurt herself." She said Brianna was 'rolling around in agony'. Ms Ghey said: "She was screaming in pain, saying 'I think I'm going to die'. It was quite frightening. I have never seen Brianna like that. She is not a sickly child."

Ms Ghey said Brianna was saying 'don't leave me, don't leave me'. She said Brianna then vomited. At first she thought Brianna may have 'eaten too many grapes which caused her to be ill'. She said Brianna was 'writhing around in pain'. Ms Ghey said she considered calling for an ambulance but that after she had been sick, Brianna appeared to be 'much better'.

She adds: "When the police came to my home on February 11 and informed me that Brianna had died, most of what they said was a blur." Ms Ghey said she told police that on February 11, Brianna had sent her a text saying 'I'm on the bus by myself, I'm scared'. She said: "I replied 'well that's well good xx', as I was really proud of her. "I don't think she ever saw it because it showed as being delivered, but it didn't turn blue."

The trial continues.